Thursday, August 20, 2009

TRIBUTES FOR CITY'S FALLEN HERO

TRIBUTES have been paid to a Coventry hero who died in Afghanistan.

Lance Corporal James Fullarton was killed in a Taliban blast while on foot patrol in Sangin, Helmand Province.

The 24-year-old, of Dudley Street, Bell Green, was among three men killed on Sunday. He was a member of the 2nd Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Coventry MP and defence secretary Bob Ainsworth said he was “truly sorry for the loss”.

James’ twin sister Samantha Fullarton revealed the terrible moment family and friends learned about his tragic death

She said: “What shocking news we woke up to: a knock on the door and our world falls to pieces.

“Words can’t describe the pain, the heartache and the loss we are feeling right now.

“A true hero, my twin brother, a big brother to Natalie, a very proud son of Jan and Pete and a fiancĂ© to Leanne.

“James died doing what he loved best, protecting each and every one of us.

“I never thought this day would come, not in a million years, not to us.

“I want somebody to bring my brother home to me to tell me this is all one big dream.

“James will be so sadly missed, dearly treasured, I hope he is looking down on us knowing how proud we all are of him.

“Our wonderful courageous soldier is gone, but never forgotten.”

Paying a further touching tribute to her brother through social networking website Gone Too Soon, Samantha added: “You are one in a million bro, a true hero.”

A Facebook tribute site was also set up for the young soldier. Just two days after his nearly 600 people had already joined to pay their respects.

One tribute read: “RIP mate, was an honour to have known you, a great soldier and very good friend. Always in everyone’s hearts, my thoughts go out to friends and family.”

Another read: “James you were and always will be one of my best friends, you always knew how to make me laugh and cheer me up when I was down, I looked up to you because you were a hero and you died a hero and will go down in history a hero.”

Mr Ainsworth, Coventry North East MP, offered his condolences to the family but defended troops still fighting in the Middle East.

Speaking to the Times, he said: “I don’t know if I know his family personally, I knew a Fullarton family that lived in Wood End many years ago, but my deepest condolences go out to the family and I’m truly sorry for the loss. He was a brave young man and he died in the service of his country.

“We have suffered some heavy losses and it is such a tragedy for families and friends and I would like to pass condolences to those locals who have now been affected.

“The mission that we have is of vital importance for this country’s national security and international interest.

“If it wasn’t then it would not be worth the suffering and losses that we have. This is now becoming more personal to us. I really, sincerely believe we have to persevere so we can succeed in this mission.”

Two other local soldiers - Fusilier Louis Carter, aged 18, of Nuneaton, and Sgt Simon Valentine, aged 29, of Bedworth - died in Afghanistan over the weekend.

A total of 204 British servicemen and women have now died during the battle since 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment